Each year, students from across the northwest suburbs take part in an intense audition to represent their schools in the Illinois Music Educators Association’s (IMEA) District 7 Honor Band, Honor Orchestra, and Honor Jazz Band.
Band and jazz band auditions were held September 29 at Round Lake High School, and orchestra auditions were held October 10 at Aptakisic Junior High in Buffalo Grove.
The IMEA Honor Band, Honor Orchestra, and Honor Jazz Band comprised of the best junior high school musicians in Illinois and selection for these ensembles is a distinctive honor. Students selected for Honor Band and Honor Orchestra will perform in the IMEA District 7 Honor Concert, which will be held Saturday, November 3, at Wauconda High School. Students selected to Honor Jazz Band will perform in the IMEA District 7 Jazz Festival on Saturday, November 17, at Lake Zurich High School.
The following District 15 students were chosen to participate in these events:
- Carl Sandburg Junior High—eighth graders Bethany Sorman and Alana Monterrosa on flute.
- Plum Grove Junior High—eighth graders Andy Hong, Alex Kwon, and Emma Wood on clarinet; Kristine Yim, Kyra Pagones, and Mabel Zhang on flute; and Allison Gile on flute and piccolo and seventh graders Gautham Arun and Andrew Ruan on alto saxophone and Momoka Masuo on flute.
- Walter R. Sundling Junior High—eighth graders Janet Kim on clarinet and Michelle So on flute.
- Hunting Ridge School—sixth grader Nick Szoblik on trumpet.
- Carl Sandburg Junior High—eighth graders Andres Carrero on violin and Lauren Cardoza on viola.
- Plum Grove Junior High—eighth graders Sarah Akutsu and Andrew Y. Hwang on violin and Emma Liu and Mingda Zhang on cello.
- Winston Campus Junior High—seventh grader Abigail Zuercher on cello.
- Marion Jordan School—sixth grader Joshua Park on violin.
Honor Jazz Band
Walter R. Sundling Junior High—eighth grader Janet Kim on alto saxophone.
-Story Submitted by Community Consolidated School District 15