District 15 students recently received 23 Reflections arts education program honors awarded by Illinois PTA District 37.
Reflections is a national PTA program that asks students to create works of art based on an annual theme. This year’s theme was “Diversity Means … ,” and students created works of art to reflect that theme in six different categories: visual arts, photography, musical composition, literature, dance choreography, and film/video production.
The program has several levels. Judging first takes place within individual schools’ PTAs, and then within the Northwest Suburban Council (NWSC) of PTA/PTSA, which represents District 15. The NWSC of PTA/PTSA selected 66 submissions by District 15 students for judging by Illinois PTA District 37. Students whose works were selected by the NWSC of PTA/PTSA will be recognized at the Reflections Showcase on Monday, January 30, at 7 p.m. at Carl Sandburg Junior High, 2600 Martin Lane, Rolling Meadows. A complete list of those students is posted on the District’s website, www.ccsd15.net.
Illinois PTA District 37 reviewed nearly 1,500 projects and selected 54 of those works of art to be judged in the state Reflections program in February. Of the 54 state-qualifying submissions; 23 of them are from District 15 students who will be recognized at the Illinois PTA District 37 Reflections Showcase, which will be held Wednesday, February 29, at 7 p.m. at Lincoln School, 1021 N. Ridgewood Lane, Palatine.
Those students are:
- Sean Forman, Kindergarten, Virginia Lake School PTA, Diversity for My Taste Buds
- Kevin Forman, Grade 2, Virginia Lake School PTA, Train to Everywhere
- Emma Forman, Grade 4, Winston Campus Elementary PTA, VegetableVisions
- Joey Runde, Grade 5, Kimball Hill School PTA, Musical Instruments
- Lily Fell, Grade 2, Stuart R. Paddock School PTA, Diversity Means Colorful
- Edward Nieman, Grade 2, Gray M. Sanborn School PTA, Pumpkin Power
- Samantha Nieman, Grade 3, Gray M. Sanborn School PTA, The Bird Bath
- Ally Sheehan, Grade 4, Hunting Ridge School PTA, Wild Flowers
- Maggie Scovic, Grade 6, Winston Campus Elementary PTA, Diverse Converse
- Aidan Busch, Grade 7, Walter R. Sundling Junior High PTA, Looking at the Familiar with a Different Perspective
- Rhett Allord, Kindergarten, Pleasant Hill School PTA, Diversity Means … Colorful Handprints
- Emma Milligan, Grade 3, Hunting Ridge School PTA, So Many Snowflakes
- Christiana Kirchner, Grade 4, Gray M. Sanborn School PTA, A Basket of Choices
- Danielle Sauerland, Grade 4, Winston Campus Elementary PTA, Unity of Color
- Chris Schmit, Grade 6, Pleasant Hill School PTA, Tiki Masks
- Jennifer Sobkowiak, Grade 7, Walter R. Sundling Junior High PTA, Life in the Ocean is a Reflection of Life on Earth
- Christine Rollinson, Kindergarten, Virginia Lake School PTA, Chrissie's Diversity Show
- Kirsten Juskiewicz, Grade 7, Walter R. Sundling Junior High PTA, Originality
- Braden Kobeski, Grade 8, Walter R. Sundling Junior High PTA, Diversity Goes to the Dogs
- Rebecca Duran, Grade 8, Walter R. Sundling Junior High PTA, Despaired to Hope
- Ryan Jannak-Huang, Grade 8, Walter R. Sundling Junior High PTA, Etude: A Journey Through World Music History
- Zen Wang, Grade 1, Pleasant Hill School PTA, My Super Golden Dragon Dance
- Anna Selleck, Grade 5, Virginia Lake School PTA, Black & White by Anna Selleck
-Story Submitted by Community Consolidated School District 15