Not Registered to Vote? Register and Vote Now during Grace-Period

If you missed the voter registration last Tuesday for suburban Cook County voters, you still have time; grace period ends Nov. 3.

Procrastinators who missed the voter registration deadline last Tuesday can still participate in the Nov. 6, 2012 Presidential Election. Cook County residents who need to register to vote for the first time, change their name or update their address can do so during the registration grace period.

Cook County voters have a grace period until Nov. 3, but they have to vote on the spot and follow a certain set of rules.

Voters who register during the grace period, must cast their ballot at the time of registration. Grace-period registrants vote on touch screen voting equipment immediately after registering. Grace-period registrants are not eligible to vote at the polls on Election Day or take part in Early Voting.

Grace-period registration and voting is now the only way to register or change your address or name, which means It is the only way to vote if you are not registered or if your voter registration is not up to date.

Five suburban courthouses are participating in the grace-period registration. In the northwest suburbs, residents can register and vote in room 238 of the Rolling Meadows Courthouse located at 2121 Euclid Avenue, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. expect Wednesdays when hours are extended to 7 p.m.

To qualify to vote, a person must be a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years old by Election Day (Nov. 6) and a resident of his or her precinct for at least 30 days prior to the election.

If registering during the grace period, you must display two pieces of identification. Neither needs to be a photo ID, but one must include your current address. Some acceptable forms of ID are:

  • Illinois driver's license
  • Illinois state ID
  • Employee or student ID
  • Credit card statement
  • Social security card
  • Birth certificate
  • Utility bill in applicant's name
  • Postmarked mail addressed to the applicant
  • Valid U.S. passport
  • Lease or rental contract

For more information, visit the Cook County clerk's website.  


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something