After you pile them up and jump in them, the Village of Palatine will help you get rid of them.
Leaf collection in town beings October 14.
The village is encouraging residents to mulch leaves, but if you don't, here is how the leaf collection program works, according to the release from the village.
Leaf Collection Guidelines
Curbside leaf pickup is provided once EVERY OTHER WEEK. That is three scheduled pickups for each resident. Each year the Fall Palatine News Letter will be delivered before leaf collection starts. In the newsletter is a map and schedule to help determine which pick-up section your home is in. Or you can check the "Leaf Collection Look Up Map" here on line.
- Rake your leaves into the street and ready for pick-up by 7 a.m. on your pick up day but, no EARLIER than 4 p.m. on the day before your scheduled pickup day.
- Leaves should be raked about twelve inches away from the curb to allow rainfall to flow down the curb and into the storm inlet.
- If your street does not have curbs, line up your row of leaves on the pavement as close to the shoulder of the road as possible in order to leave the maximum amount of street surface open for traffic.
- Non-leaf material (grass clippings, branches, etc.) should not be raked into the street and/or mixed with the leaves. Non leaf material can clog up the machines, delay the schedule and can be a safety issue for our personnel operating the equipment. Plies with any debris will be left at the curb.
- Leaves need to be raked INTO the street. Leaves that are raked just over the edge of the curb or left on the parkway will not be picked up as the leaf machines can do damage to the parkway areas.
- Do not rake around the edges of the cul-de-sac islands. Leaves need to be raked to the residential side as our machines are not equipped to pick up around the cul-de-sac islands.
- If leaves are raked out into the street after we have made our initial pass, we cannot return for a second time. Due to the large areas we need to cover in a given day picking up leaves, we can only make one pass through a neighborhood on its scheduled day.
- If rain is predicted, we ask that resident s help out by cleaning the inlets in their neighborhood to help prevent flooding.
- Please do not park on the street on the day of pick up in your neighborhood. The leaf machines are not able to get in close to a parked vehicles to pick up leaves and we will have to leave the leaf pile behind.
- Call the Department of Public Works at 847-705-5200 with questions.