Son In Police Custody After Father's Death

Arlington Heights police are investigating the death of a 66-year-old after receiving call from man saying he had killed his father.

UPDATE: 10:25 P.M. June 14

The son of a man found dead in Arlington Heights has been released from Northwest Community Hospital and is being held by police.

The son's identity is being withheld pending the filing of any criminal charges. The Cook County Medical Examiner will perform an autopsy on Stuart Cole, 66, Wednesday, June 15.

Following the autopsy, investigators plan to meet with the Cook County State's Attorney's office to determine what, if any, charges will be filed.

Arlington Heights Police responded to Cole's home in the 2600 block of North Stratford Road after receiving a call Monday at 11:57 p.m. The caller identified himself as Cole's son and said he had killed his father.

At 4:30 p.m. he was released from the hospital and police were able to interview him. He is now being held in Arlington Heights lock-up.

UPDATED 2:13 P.M. June 14

Arlington Heights Police Cmdr. Kenneth Galinski said 66-year-old Stuart Cole and his son had a past history of violence.

Cole was beaten to death Monday night at his home in the 2600 block of North Stratford. Arlington Heights police received a call about 11:57 p.m. from an individual who said he was Cole's son and that he had killed Cole.

The son, who police have not named because criminal charges have not been filed, asked police to take him to Northwest Community Hospital. Galinski said investigators plan on interviewing the son as soon as possible.

Galinski said that although there had been past incidents of violence at the home and that police had been called, it was not a case of the father abusing the son.

ORIGINAL UPDATE 9:46 a.m. June 14

Arlington Heights police received a call Monday night from an individual who said he had killed his father.

Police responded at 11:57 p.m. to a home in the 2600 block of North Stratford and were greeted at the front door by a person who was "highly agitated and was making verbal admissions and utterances" about what had happened in the home.

A press release from Arlington Heights police states officers were able to talk to the individual and he was taken into custody. The individual said he was not feeling well and was taken to Northwest Community Hospital where he is being treated by medical staff.

Police found a 66-year-old man beaten to death in the home. Police have not identified the individual pending notification of family, but the Daily Herald has reported the man is Stuart Cole.

The name of the son has been withheld pending the filing of any criminal charges.

Ellen July 02, 2011 at 07:21 PM
Hmmm... the name was withheld but The Patch showed his picture and played the audio of his call to the police where he clearly states that he has killed his father. The police go to the house and the father is indeed dead. And, he has not been charged? Wow, how much evidence do the police need?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »