Arlington Heights Cop Shot During Hostage Situation Released From Hospital

Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge. Photo: Pam DeFiglio, Patch.com
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge. Photo: Pam DeFiglio, Patch.com

A 20-year veteran of the Arlington Heights Police Department has been released from the hospital following several weeks in the intensive care unit after he was shot in the face during a hostage situation on Dec. 12, according to CBS Chicago. 

Officer Michael McEvoy was the first officer to the scene of a reported domestic disturbance at a townhouse in the 1900 block of Winham Court in Arlington Heights where he was shot by the gunman, according to CBS Chicago. 

A SWAT team later entered the townhouse at 10:30 p.m. fatally shooting Eric Anderson, 41, who is accused of taking a female hostage and shooting McEvoy, according to a Daily Herald article. The woman was not injured

McEvoy was released on Dec. 27 from Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge and is expected to make a full recovery, according to the Chicago Tribune. 

Details on McEvoy's injuries were not being released, and he is currently recovering at a private location with the help of his family and professional caregivers, according to the Chicago Tribune. 

The Daily Herald reports McEvoy has a long recovery ahead

The victim in the hostage shooting was a 39-year-old Crystal Lake woman. Anderson, her alleged captor and former boyfriend, was arrested by Crystal Lake Police just a week before the hostage situation. 

At that time, he was charged with two counts of electronic harassment, Crystal Lake Police Cmdr. Dan Dziewior told Patch.com. 

The hostage situation on Dec. 12 lasted for several hours while police talked to Anderson on the telephone, trying to convince him to surrender. SWAT teams were called to the scene.

Eventually, just before 11 p.m., Anderson exited the house and walked into the garage. Anderson had his former girlfriend with him, and, at that time, he raised his gun and pointed it at the police officers, police said. 

Officers fired three shots and hit Anderson. He was provided immediate medical attention and transported to Northwest Community Hospital where he was later pronounced dead, according to police. 

For More Patch Coverage:


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »