This is what you would have seen looking south on Bothwell Street from just north of Slade Street back in the late 1930's.
On the east (left) side is Matthei's building, 19 N. Bothwell Street, and directly across on the west is the former State Bank of Palatine at 35 W. Slade Street.
Today, Matthei's buidling is gone, and was replaced by the Pepper Block Building, which houses businesses including Pop's Bar and Grill, Arete Salon and Shay's Closet.
The same building that stood more than 70 years ago on the west side of Bothwell Street is now inhabited by Guidant Wealth Advisors.
Also in the late 1930's, a movie house was located behind the current Guidant building called Siep's Hall. Today, Cookie Cards, LPL Financial, On Track Hair Station and Shawney Consulting occupy the space leading south up to Palatine Road.
The first Palatine library was located behind the Matthei building on the east at Palatine Road, which is not visible in the picture.
Information provided by the Images of America, Palatine, Illinois and the Palatine Historical Society.