The history of the Starck building, located at the southeast corner of Brockway and Slade Streets, is long and varied.
In 1910, it was Kunze's Saloon and was operated by Oswald Kunze who emigrated from Europe and moved to Palatine in 1904.
Before Kunze moved to Texas in 1916, he sold the building to Dr. Carl Adam Starck.
Starck renovated the building into a hospital at that time, and for more than 30 years, it was a hospital used by area residents in addition to a training ground for nurses. The hospital closed in 1950.
Since then, the building has been used for a variety of purposes.
It has been a drug store, an Army recruitment center and business offices.
Today, Monson Jewelers and Foxglove Cottage occupy the space.
Both businesses have taken advantage of the Village of Palatine's Downtown Facade Program to preserve and improve the outward appearance, aesthetics and character of the building.
Information, in part, provided by the Images of America, Palatine, Illinois and the Palatine Historical Society.