UPDATE: Lit Cigarette Ignited Fire at Palatine Townhouse
A lit cigarette caused the Saturday morning fire that left a Palatine townhouse uninhabitable, the Online Journal reports.
The Palatine Fire Department determined a lit cigarette ignited the fire destroyed a Palatine townhouse early Saturday morning, the Journal Online reports.
Within minutes, flames could be seen from the second floor balcony at 1400 block of North Waterbury Circle. According to the Daily Herald, firefighters found fire in the walls and the floors of the smoke filled, second story unit.
No one was inside the unit at the time of the fire. No one was injured and the fire did not spread to any of the six other units in the building. But by the time firefighters extinguished the blaze, the fire had left the Palatine townhouse uninhabitable, the Daily Herald reports.
According to the Journal Online, the damage to the unit is estimated at more than $30,000.