Toll Hikes Proposed To Pay For Improvements
The Illinois Tollway proposed a $12 billion capital plan that would be funded with a toll rate hike of 35 cents to 45 cents.
The Illinois Tollway is proposing a $12 billion capital plan that would be funded by rate hikes for motorists.
Tolls would increase by 35 cents at a typical mainline toll plaza. Revenue from the increase would fund capital improvements through 2026. The plan includes:
- Reconstructing and widening Interstate 90 from Interstate 294 to Rockford.
- Reconstructing more than 20 miles of the central Tri-State Tollway (I-294) and the Edens Spur (I-94)
- Preserving the Reagan Memorial Tollway (I-88)
- Preserving the Veterans Memorial Tollway (I-355)
- Repairing roads, bridges and maintenance facilities
- Other capital projects, including local interchanges
Cash-paying motorists currently pay double the tolls of I-PASS users. Their rates would go up, and they would continue to pay double.
A press release from the tollway states that this is the first rate hike since 1983, however, rates doubled for non-I-PASS toll users in 2005, the Daily Herald reported.
The Tollway will present details of the plan in a series of public hearings in August. Also the Tollway is seeking feedback on its Web site.
Here is a complete schedule of the planned public hearings:
August 18, 7-9 p.m.
- Cook County - Chicago Ridge City Hall, 10455 S. Ridgeland Avenue, Chicago Ridge, IL
- DuPage County - DuPage County Government Center, 421 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL
- Kane County - Kane County Gov. Center, 719 S. Batavia Avenue, Building A, Geneva, IL
- Will County - Village of New Lenox, 1 Veterans Parkway, New Lenox, IL
Aug. 19, 7-9 p.m.
- Boone County - Community Building, 111 W. 1st Street, Belvidere, IL
- DeKalb County - NIU-Convocation Center, 1525 W. Lincoln Highway, DeKalb, IL
- Lake County - Libertyville Civic Center, 135 W. Church Street, Libertyville, IL
- McHenry County - Village of Huntley, 10987 Main Street, Huntley, IL
Aug. 22, 7-9 p.m.
- Lee County - Comfort Inn, 154 Plaza Drive, Dixon, IL
- Ogle County - Comfort Inn & Suites, 1122 N. Seventh Street, Rochelle, IL
- Whiteside County - Sterling Municipal Building, 212 3rd Avenue, Sterling, IL
- Winnebago County - Clock Tower Resort, 7801 E. State Street, Rockford, IL