Halloween is just two days away, and the Village of Palatine wants to remind residents there are a number of precautions to take to make it the safest holiday possible.
Safety tips from the village include:
- If costumes are dark colored, use reflective tape to help visibility
- Use flashlights or glow sticks
- Use make-up instead of masks so vision isn't affected
- Adults should accompany young children
- For older children, set parameters for where they can go trick-or-treating and when they are expected back at home
- If not accompanied by an adult, have children trick-or-treat in groups and stay together; make sure someone has a cell phone
- Trick-or-treat in areas that are well-lit, where there are a large number of homes, such as in a subdivision
- Parents should examine all candy before children consume it
- Remind children not to enter homes, back, or side yards and to never get into a stranger's vehicle
The Palatine Police will be out on Halloween as well. Residents and young people are reminded that even though it is a holiday, vandalism is a crime and offenders will be arrested.